PASO ROBLES — A residential fire occurred on the 2000 block of Vista Oaks Way in Paso Robles on Saturday, March 3. Paso Robles Department of Emergency Services responded to the fire at approximately 11:30 p.m.
First arriving firefighters found smoke and fire emanating from an exterior wall and spreading into the attic. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the area of origin and worked to limit smoke and water damage to the rest of the structure.
Battalion Chief Randy Harris reported that the inhabitants of the home safely left before the arrival of first responders. A mother and two children occupied the residence.
Two fire engines and one Battalion Chief from Paso Robles responded. Mutual aid was provided with one fire engine and one Battalion Chief from Cal Fire, one fire engine from Templeton Fire Department, and one fire engine from Atascadero Fire Department. A total of 16 firefighters responded. Personnel from the Paso Robles Police Department and San Luis Ambulance Service also assisted.
The fire appears to have been caused by an in-use wood burning fireplace. The Paso Robles Department of Emergency Services reminds all residents to ensure they have working smoke detectors and to annually clean and inspect all wood-burning stoves and fireplaces.