Paso Robles Lowe’s catches on fire, customers evacuated

Contributed photo

PASO ROBLES — Just before closing on Saturday, Feb. 16, Lowe’s Home Improvement Center in Paso Robles caught fire in the rear of the building while customers were inside, according to Paso Robles Emergency Services. The fire was quickly contained and nobody was injured.

At 8:37 p.m., the Paso Robles Department of Emergency Services responded to the Lowe’s Home Improvement Center located at 2445 Golden Hill Rd. for a reported fire alarm activation from the retailer’s alarm company.

Prior to arrival a store employee re-contacted the Paso Robles Emergency Dispatch Center and advised of smoke located in the rear of the building. The incident was upgraded to a full commercial structure fire response.

Firefighters arrived at the scene and found a moderate amount of smoke coming from the rear of the building. Within 5 minutes of arrival, the fire was fully contained. The building’s fire sprinkler system played a significant role in minimizing additional damage to the building and merchandise by holding the fire “in check” until the first engine arrived.

All customers were safely evacuated from the store and no injuries to civilians or firefighters were reported. Crews remained on scene for approximately three hours conducting salvage and overhaul operations to remove smoke and water from the business. Lowe’s Home Improvement was open for business on Sunday morning following the fire.

Two fire engines and one battalion chief from Paso Robles responded. One engine from Cal Fire/San Luis Obispo County, one ladder truck from Atascadero Fire Department and three units from the Paso Robles Police Department responded to assist.


More In News